Tom’s back and shares his experience from his last trip overseas. Some iPhone hassles and really cool plane tech. Plus movie quotes take over! All this and more. Thanks for listening.
Traveling OverSeas with iPhone
- Tom’s back from a trip to Germany. He had some challenges getting the iPhone to work seamlessly while there. He’ll fill us in on what some of those hiccups were.
Present, but Absent
- A good article from USA Today talks about how obsessed we’ve become with our smart phones and social networking tools. Truth be told, I can’t remember the last time I was ‘unplugged’ for a long time.
Sweet Plane Tech
- On the way home, Tom gets a nice upgrade to first class from United. Wow, there was some cool tech there that we’ll never see in Coach.
Transparent Aluminum discovery. Beam me up, Scotty!
- The timeline from Star Trek IV must have happened. Because it seems that transparent aluminum has, in fact, been invented by scientists at Oxford. Woo hoo! No truth to the rumor that the scientist that discovered it had the same name as the scientist in the ST film.
- Disney is making a sequel to the 1982 groundbreaking effects movie. You’ll have to wait until 2010 to see it. But the first trailer is now online. You can see that here.
- Speaking of movies, another Aliens movie is coming out in 2011. Ridley Scott comes back to direct but this time, it’s a prequel. So if the first movie was called Alien, and the sequel was called Aliens then does that mean the prequel will be called Alie ? Inquiring minds want to know!
I ain’t ‘fraid of no ghost
- The hit movie from 1984 is now a wildly successful video game. They got all of the original actors back to voice the game. It must be time to watch that movie again. Don’t cross the streams.
Important computer patches
- Microsoft released a patch for Windows (Internet Explorer) and Apple pushes out a fix for an iPhone/iPod Touch SMS problem. Go get these updates for your devices. It’s always a good idea to stay current on patches.
- Google has added all kinds of add-ins for Gmail. One of them (Mail Goggles) makes you solve some math problems before it lets you send out late night emails. Just in case you wrote something after a few too many drinks that you might regret in the morning. Wow, a breathalyzer equivalent for email. Don’t drink and email!
- You can access this feature and many others by clicking Settings, Labs from within your Gmail account.