We take a look back at the big stories from 2010 in enterprise IT. Happy New Year everyone!
The Year in Review:
- The race for Storage supremacy (EMC bought Data Domain & Isilion, HP outbid Dell for 3PAR, then Dell bought Compellent)
- Cloud, cloud, cloud: forecast is stormy; Azure, Office365, LotusLive, Amazon, monster IBM machines
- Virtualization (even the free ones) continued to be everywhere. Coming to a client near you soon?
- Ray Ozzie left Microsoft
- Oracle vs HP (Mark Hurd)
- Oracle and Sun versus salesforce and database.com
- Intel bought McAfee for $8B (and the EU balked)
- Chrome browser with Group Policy and MSI installer
- HTML5 is growing and war against IE6 and Flash and royalty-free H.264
- the war on power: Intel CPUs, Apple A4; datacenter power and cooling
- products: iPad and Google Nexus One and Windows Phone 7; while Blackberry sales down 73% in a year from Verizon