NFL Free Agency begins this week. Joe Banner and Jimmy Haslam have said the Browns would not make a big splash, yet rumors suggest otherwise. Who will they pursue to turn this franchise around? In basketball, it’s playoff time for boys and girls high school. And the NCAA conference tourneys get underway in the ramp up to select the field of 68. It’s GameTime!
Running Time: 38:14
1Q: NFL Free Agency Signings
- Signings can officially commence on Tuesday at 4PM.
- It seems likely that Mike Wallace will sign with MIA tomorrow.
- Browns rumored to be favorites to land DE Cliff Avril (DET) and are rumored to be competing with IND and BAL for Ravens LBs Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerby.
- ESPN’s Free Agent Tracker
- Charger CB Antoine Cason and Cardinal S Adrian Wilson are also rumored to be of interest due to their ties with Norv Turner and Ray Horton.
- Will we suddenly become loaded with ex-Chargers, Cardinals and Eagles? I hope not.
- Other players the Browns are linked to: WR Julian Edelman (NE), CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (PHI), TE Jared Cook (TEN), TE Brandon Myers (OAK)
2Q: More on the NFL Rumors/Signings
- Cribbs getting interest from SF, NY Giants and some others
- Will Phil Dawson go home to Texas and sign with Dallas or Houston? Or latch on to someone like the 49ers? What is the market for a 38yo kicker?
- Today, Percy Harvin was traded to SEA. Anquan Boldin traded to SF.
3Q: Conference Tourney Time
- Conference Tourneys get underway this week to decide automatic bids. It’s also a chance for at-large teams to make impressions on the selection committee.
- Big Ten gets started on Thursday
- Very close race with lots of teams close in final regular season records. (5 ranked in the Top 25)
- #2 Buckeyes will face the winner of #7 Purdue/#10 Nebraska on Friday.
- #1 Indiana, #3 Michigan State, #4 Wisconsin
- Mac Tourney starts Monday
- Will #1 seed Akron be able to win without their starting PG?
- #2 Ohio U, #3 Western Michigan, #4 Kent State
- Hard to pick a favorite in college this year. No dominant team. Gonzaga is actually likely to be a #1 seed in the tourney.
- Last year’s National Champs (Kentucky) won’t even make the post-season this year after all of the one-and-done players.
4Q: High School Hoops
- Follow your favorite Boys and Girls teams through the OHSAA playoffs
- In Division IV:
- Congrats to VASJ in winning their District (Division IV) by routing Richmond Hts 67-47.
- Regional Pairings: VASJ vs Windham
- In Division I:
- Shaker Hts moves on by knocking off Ignatius 61-52.
- North Royalton upset #1 St. Eds 53-51
- Regional Pairings: Nordonia vs Broadview Hts, Shaker Hts vs N Royalton, Mentor vs North Canton Hoover
- In Division II:
- Benedictine beats #1 Cleve Cent Catholic 60-50
- Regional Pairings: Akron SVSM vs Cuy Valley Christian, Warrensville Hts vs Yngtn Cardinal Mooney, Benedictine vs Lima Bath (how’d they end up in BGSU Regional???)
- In Division III:
- #1 Beachwood wins their District Final
- Regional Pairings: Beachwood vs Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas
Please let your Twitter followers know about this podcast. Simply click here now to post a tweet.
If you enjoyed this episode of GameTime Cleveland, please head over to iTunes, leave a rating, write a review and subscribe.
Subscribe to the GTC podcast. It’s 100% free!
- Subscribe with iTunes
- Subscribe with RSS (for Android and other non-iTunes)
- Subscribe with Stitcher Radio